Are you a Pope Francis Voter?
Do you follow the Pope's call to bring the sacred issues with you into the voting booth? Our Catholic voter quiz examines the major issues that Pope Francis says Catholics and all people of good will must include in their decision. The results of our quiz will help you decide which Congressional candidate to vote for in November.
Sign up for email updates to learn more about us
1. Catholic Social Teaching and Pope Francis have been clear about the sacred issues that Catholics and all people of good will are called to prioritize. These include protecting people in poverty, the elderly, and migrants and rejecting racism. And, crucially, our Catholic faith teaches that we have a responsibility to participate in politics out of a commitment to the common good. This responsibility means each person has a fundamental right to vote, and that right must not be infringed.Close
2. Catholic teaching is clear: being pro-life means rejecting violence, caring for the vulnerable, and prioritizing care for the unborn. As Pope Francis says, these are “equally sacred” priorities. The singular focus on abortion has led many legislators to ignore effective pro-life policies that protect the unborn: health care for pregnant mothers, paid family leave, the WIC Program, nutrition assistance, housing, and affordable childcare.Close
3. To care for the unborn, Catholic teaching tells us that we must provide health care for all pregnant women. Some of these policies include ensuring pregnant women have access to health insurance, Medicaid, and CHIP.Close
4. Pope Francis said it best: “As long as the problems of the poor are not radically resolved by rejecting the absolute autonomy of markets and financial speculation and by attacking the structural causes of inequality, no solution will be found for the world’s problems or, for that matter, to any problems.” This is a challenge, but America doesn’t back down from a challenge. Catholic teaching instructs us that our policies must protect people in poverty and enable everyone to have access to safe, affordable housing.Close
5. Catholic teaching affirms that every human being has a right to healthy, adequate nutrition. By creating and supporting funding for nutrition programs, the government alleviates immediate hunger and works toward ending hunger entirely. In a nation as wealthy as the United States, ending hunger is possible and is a moral imperative.Close
6. Pope Francis condemns the disregard for the health of elderly people, calling it covert euthanasia: “Social security pays up until a certain amount of treatment and then says ‘May God help you.’” Catholics must reject covert euthanasia and support politicians who embrace policies that provide care for the elderly.Close
7. Catholic Social Teaching affirms that work is more than a way to make a living – it is a form of continuing participation in God’s creation. Because all work has value, all workers must be properly compensated and protected. Catholics support an economy that puts people, not profit, at the center, where every person can find a job that provides for their family.Close
8. Catholic teaching instructs us to welcome immigrants and refugees. Migrants are a vibrant part of the fabric of our society and positively contribute to our churches and our communities. It is sinful to meet migrants with hatred. Pope Francis said it plainly: “It’s hypocrisy to call yourself a Christian and chase away a refugee or someone seeking help.”Close
9. Catholic teaching is very clear: racism and hatred are sins. Pope Francis says speaking out against racism is a pro-life issue: “We cannot tolerate or turn a blind eye to racism and exclusion in any form and yet claim to defend the sacredness of every human life.” Catholics cannot vote for any politician who refuses to reject racism.Close
Issues in details
Temas en detalle
Democrats | The freedom to vote for the politician of your choosing is your right as a citizen. However, MAGA extremists and election deniers are on ballots across the nation; if elected they will strip us of our freedom to choose our political representatives. We have to protect the freedom to vote. Democrats plan to restore the Voting Rights Act, end gerrymandering, and expand automatic and same-day voter registration.
MAGA extremists | MAGA extremists are blinded by partisanship and do not share our value of democracy that Pope Francis says we must prioritize. MAGA extremists are actively trying to limit your ability to vote against them. They want to take away our freedom to vote by making simple things like mail-in voting illegal. Right now MAGA extremists are working at the state level to implement laws that disenfranchise voters, fail to investigate voter roll purges, and defend gerrymandering. If they get to Congress, our democracy will be in peril.
Democrats | In America, we want our families to grow up healthy, happy, and whole. Democrats know that prioritizing the unborn means protecting pregnant mothers and providing them with the care they need. When elected they plan to expand health care for pregnant mothers, paid family leave, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), housing, and expanding affordable childcare.
MAGA Extremists | Republicans plan to take away our freedom to live healthily and happily by gutting Medicare and Social Security. Sure they oppose abortion, but they will also take away the freedom from employment discrimination for expecting mothers, they will take away the freedom to get adequate pre-natal care – thus taking away the freedom for our children to thrive. MAGA Extremists are not pro-life.
Democrats | As Catholics, the call to care for parents, children, and the unborn is a sacred call. Democrats align with this call by supporting the expansion of the ACA, providing greater care to pregnant mothers and their babies. They have a plan to reduce maternal mortality nationwide. This fall, Democrats introduced the Pregnant Workers Fairness Act, ensuring that having a child doesn’t mean losing your job and health insurance. In the Senate, Democrats introduced an expansion of the Violence Against Women Act, ensuring protections for pregnant mothers at risk of domestic violence.
MAGA extremists | If Republicans are elected they plan to end the Affordable Care Act, the legislation that protects pregnant women from being discriminated against by insurance companies. Some of their efforts would allow pregnancy to be classified as a “pre-existing condition.” Republicans want to make it harder for pregnant women to access nutrition assistance, housing, and affordable childcare. This is not pro-life.
Democrats | Our Catholic teaching calls us to build an economy where everyone of every walk of life, has the chance to work hard and earn a living. Democrats want to ensure a better future for our families. Better jobs and wages. This is the future Democrats are building with new jobs created by the Inflation Reduction Act.
MAGA extremists | MAGA extremists plan to make deep cuts to safety net programs like SNAP, Medicaid, housing assistance, and more. Republicans do not want to protect people in poverty, they want to attack them.
Democrats | Plan to give working families a life raft in these trying times. Along with creating millions of new jobs; Biden increased SNAP benefits for working families across the US.
MAGA extremists | Due to the pandemic, millions of Americans lost their jobs and ability to pay for food. While working families are trying to get back on their feet, Republicans are planning to deny families’ access to SNAP, leaving them unable to feed their families.
Democrats | Pope Francis is a strong advocate for caring for our elderly population. The Democrat’s Inflation Reduction Act lowers prescription drug prices and healthcare costs, ensuring our elders have access to the care they deserve.
MAGA extremists | Every single Republican in Congress voted against the life giving measure of lowering prescription drug prices and lowering healthcare costs. This does not honor our Catholic tradition of the Corporal Works of Mercy or live up to our values of honoring our elders.
Democrats | As Catholics we believe that people who work for a living ought to earn a living. But many of us are working hard and still struggling to earn a decent living. That’s why Democrats passed The Inflation Reduction Act -- it will do a lot to improve the lives of working families by bringing down the prices of prescription drugs, health insurance, and home energy. Creating jobs, bringing down the cost of living, and investing in a better future for us all; completely paid for by making tax cheating billionaires pay what they owe. Together we can build an economy where everyone comes along.
MAGA extremists | MAGA extremists let ultra-wealthy corporations hold down our wages and deny us benefits while they try to divide us by blaming immigrants, people of color and those struggling to make ends meet. The MAGA extremists agenda includes deep cuts for safety net programs like SNAP, Medicaid, housing assistance, and more. They do not want to protect people in poverty, instead they want to exploit them.
Democrats | As Catholics we value the freedom to make a better life for our families. Pope Francis calls us to welcome refugees and migrants searching for the same freedoms. Biden answered this call by expanding DACA, allowing Dreamers the freedom to earn a living themselves. Democrats will create a path to citizenship for all Dreamers who have become integral parts of our churches and communities.
MAGA extremists | Republicans have separated families and locked immigrant children in cages. They use racist and hateful rhetoric against immigrants of color. Under the watch of MAGA extremists, federal agencies were directed to kidnap immigrants from their homes, churches, and hospitals.
Democrats | Our Catholic faith calls us to see that all of God’s children are free from persecution to live lives with dignity. In response to this, Pope Francis calls us to address racism in our communities. Black lives matter. Democrats are working to root out the inequities in housing, health care, education, the economy, and our criminal justice system.
MAGA extremists | Republicans are spreading racism and hatred, utilizing it as a tool to turn our neighbors against one another.